We recommend that you have an eye examination at least every two years in order that the health of your eyes and your quality of vision can be effectively monitored. Yearly sight tests are recommended for those under 16 as young eyes change rapidly, and also for those over 70, diabetic patients and people with glaucoma.
You may be entitled to a free eye examination that is funded by the NHS. Free eye examinations are available to those who are:
- Aged 16 or under, or under 19 in full time education
- Aged 60 or over
- Have glaucoma
- Aged 40 or over with someone in the immediate family diagnosed with glaucoma
- Registered blind or partially sighted
- Receiving Pension Credit Guarantee credit
- Receiving income support or job-seeker’s allowance
- Receiving Tax Credit
- In receipt of HC2 or HC3
If you are eligible for an NHS funded eye examination, you may also be entitled to some help towards the cost of your spectacles. When you book in for your eye examination we can advise you if you are entitled to an NHS voucher.